Orthodontic Treatment for Adults
Orthodontic treatment is no longer just for teens; in fact, the American Association of Orthodontists sites that one in five orthodontic patients is over the age of 21! Many adults are choosing to receive treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining their health, and they want to feel better about their appearance. Adults everywhere are taking advantage of the opportunity to receive orthodontic care, and now you can too.
Common reasons why adults are considering orthodontic treatment:
- A bad bite, or malocclusion, causing teeth to fit together incorrectly
- If the teeth are crowded or spaced apart, possibly causing tooth decay or gum disease
- Abnormal pain, or pressure, in the jaw that is caused by crooked teeth
- To have a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
Treatment options for adults
For many adults, the thought of having metal braces is enough to discourage them from receiving treatment. Today's orthodontic treatment options, however, offer a variety of braces and appliances that are comfortable, esthetic, and customized to meet your needs. Types of braces provided by our office include:
- Clear aligners
- Ceramic braces
- Traditional metal braces
The difference between adult orthodontics and orthodontics for children and teens:
There are actually not many differences between adult and child orthodontics; however, in children and teens the jawbones are still developing. For adults, these bones have stopped growing, which may mean the possibility of orthognathic surgery, in which the jawbones are surgically aligned. Other differences include:
Our practice also recognizes that adults and children have different needs, and require a different level of attention and care. We will work with you to ensure that you receive the most appropriate treatments, and that your needs are met with understanding, respect, and full commitment from us.
Why should you consider orthodontic treatment?
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth — Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing, and may help prevent other health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence — Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
- Mouths left untreated can get worse — Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it's needed can create long-term health issues, and end up costing you more in the end.
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics, please contact our practice to schedule an appointment. We understand you have a busy schedule, and we will work with you to make sure each office visit is as convenient as possible.